art in all its forms

art in all its forms

10/16/10

Notes on Dave Williams 'Roasted Swan'

Dave Williams performs 'Roasted Swan'. Photo courtesy Rodell Warner.

When Dave Williams performed 'Roasted Swan' at a retrospective of the Noble Douglas Dance Company last month, the piece was not new. Yet, something about it was timely, given the current raves surrounding the new film, Black Swan, by Darren Aronofsky.

'Roasted Swan' was danced to music from Carl Orff's kicksy (yet powerful) Carmina Buriana (Olim Lacus Colueram). LISTEN BELOW:



A crucial part of this piece for me was William's all-black costume which had a slight sheen: oil like, yet  also  ashen. I made the following notes after watching this piece:
Going in, I had no idea what the title of this piece was. At first I thought, why is the dancer so passive, so 'un-fighting'? The edginess and power of the black and the seeming passivity were two contrasting and fascinating ideas. Then I read that this was called "Roasted Swan" and I realised that the creature was NOT fighting ie doing that action of "not fighting". NOT giving up; but giving in? 
Here is the text from the music which accompanied the piece:
Once the lakes I swam upon,
once in beauty sailed along,
while I was yet a swan.
Woe’s me! Woe’s me!

Black misery,
now roasting fiercely!

Than the snow was, whiter,
than every bird was, finer;
now the crow is brighter.
Woe’s me! Woe’s me!

The fire burns me fiercely,
the cook’s boy turns and turns me,
now the steward toasts me.
Woe’s me! Woe’s me!

I’d rather sail the water,
the wide sky, forever,
than be a peppered diver.
Woe’s me! Woe’s me!

Now in the dish I lie
without the power to fly,
bared teeth before my eye –
Woe’s me! Woe’s me!

Black misery,
now roasting fiercely!

No comments:

Post a Comment