art in all its forms

art in all its forms

11/6/09

this/discourse/has/no start(middle)nd


WHO?

Who inspired me? When you are young you do not think about who inspired you; you are just busy doing. After a while you understand you did not do it alone. I stumbled into dance. But my mother, Florence Williams (deceased) and Noble Douglas have always been there.

WHAT?

I am trying to figure out what the ass it is I am doing - still.

WHEN + WHERE?

I have a piece I have started working on and I have one performance in the US early next year and hopefully one in Cuba around the same time. Working on an opening performance for the Youth Forum of the CHOGM (Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting).

WHY?

Trying to figure it out - still.

PLEASE SAY SOMETHING DEEP (ABOUT ART):

I was in a mad meeting yesterday and wasn't the least bit excited about any of it. Just then I wrote in my blank notepaper, "Art is presenting the familiar in an unfamiliar way or vice versa". This was in stark contradiction to the brilliant ideas that were being presented.

ASK AND ANSWER THE QUESTION YOU WANTED US TO ASK (STATE SAID QUESTION, TOO):

Is any of this at all interesting?

***

(BTW, WE SHOULD ALSO ADD:)

Dave Williams is a senior member of the Noble Douglas Dance company. He performed a piece entitled 'SCAN' at the 2009 CoCo Dance Festival at Queen's Hall in October. He's also a part of the multi-media team INDIgroove. This is what he looks like:


Dave Williams performing 'Waiting' at Alice Yard, Port of Spain, November 23, 2007, courtesy Nicholas Laughlin. Header photo:
Queen's Hall stage, by Andre Bagoo.


READ commentary on one of Williams' most famous pieces, entitled 'Waiting', here. BROWSE a review of Dave Williams' 'SCAN' here. This/discourse/has/no/start(middle)nd is an interview series for Trinidad artists. Find out MORE about it here.



No comments:

Post a Comment